Petko Petkov is a violin maker from Bulgaria.
He works independently as the owner of Petkov Violins ltd.
The workshop is situated in the suburbs of Kazanlak city.
He handcrafts fine master
- and violoncellos.
He handcrafts the following models:
Violoncello –Strad Piatti, Viola -Stradivari, Violin- Stradivari Cremonese, Nicolo Amati, Guarnieri Heifetz, Guarnieri Lafont, Guarnieri Il Cannone, Guarnieri Jarnovich, Guarnieri Vieuxtemps, Scarampella, Lorenzo Storioni.
For his instruments he uses Italian methods of construction. The wood used for his work is with Bulgarian origin-Balkan Maple and Spruce. It is well seasoned and with excellent acoustic qualities.
- He is а certified master violin maker with the Bulgarian Luthiers Association. At the moment he is a member of the board of managers in the Association.
- Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce
Participation in Competitions:
- International Violin Making Competition in USA, Portland, Oregon, 2008, organized by VSA
- Eufonia 2009, Sofia, Bulgaria
- International Violin Making Competition in Germany, Mitten Wald, 2014
- Musikmesse, Frankfurt, Germany
- Music China, Shanghai, Republic of China
In 1999 Petko Petkov opens his own workshop, where he handcrafts string instruments : violins, violas and violoncellos and repairs, restores and adjusts old musical instruments.
Initially, the workshop has been situated in the city of Kazanlak. Since 2009 the workshop has been moved in Ovoshtnik, a small village in the suburbs of Kazanlak.
The Strad Magazine February 2018 issue features the workshop of Petko Petkov in My Space.
His instruments are made from Premium Balkan maple and spruce from the Rodopi Mountains, naturally dried in air for many years.
The Balkan maple is world famous with its wonderful acoustic qualities.
Discover interviews & articles in the Luthiers.com blog:
Kazanlak, Stara Zagora, Bulgarie